This is 2021 and everyone is making a use of the technology for their daily chores. Whether it is to buy medicines, paying bills, repair or buying food, the world is controlled by smartphones. Indeed, it takes simple finger taps to use the useful services.
During the COVID-19 outbreak, many businesses adopted the digital platforms which really helped them to survive in the market. Positively, delivery services are becoming popular among people, and as reported around 35% prefer to order grocery online. The users are tremendously using the services and are rapidly increasing.
Moreover, grocery app development is driving power to the grocery delivery businesses and facilitates consumers with ease and relaxation. The users order the required groceries from their smartphones; no need to stand in long billing queues, get the items delivered at your home!
How Does a Grocery Delivery App Development Work?
Grocery delivery apps are not only growing in popularity, but also expanding in technological perspective. Generally, businesses come up with their own grocery delivery app or use a third-party grocery delivery platform.
The first option provides a dedicated grocery app to the users for a particular seller. The users can order the items which will be delivered by the in-house staff or any third-party service. Besides, the latter grocery platform provides a wide range of seller options to the users. That means, one app for various sellers such as Instacart, FreshDirect, Shipt etc.
Please note that in both platforms, the development concentrates on user convenience, user-friendly interface and maintaining business setup.
Grocery Shopping Apps Architecture:
In an effective online grocery delivery app development, there are mainly 3 parties: Customer, Shopper and Business. Hence, the platform covers three app developments to cover the different needs and functions. Let’s learn about the app development technology, basic features and grocery app development cost below:
Grocery App Technology:
- Database: MongoDB or MySql
- Back-end development: Node.js or Java
- Front-end development: Angular or React
- iOS development: Swift or Flutter
- Android development: Kotlin or Flutter
Top 3 Features & its Cost for Grocery App Development:
A) Customer or User App (USD 13-15K)
- User Registration: In the modern age, assist your clients with quick registration features. Support them to create an account using their email or phone number by using simple steps. Moreover, you can enable the sign up via google or social media accounts.
- Item Listing: For clients’ convenience, you can set-up categories and subcategories for different products; the feature will support easy navigation. Additionally, each product displays images and description with the “add to cart” option.
- Placing Order: After selecting the product(s), the client will redirect to this feature. The option will support them to complete the order (enter delivery address, choose delivery option, payment mode and others). Besides, the user can select the saved address or enter a new address for each order.
- Payment Method: Again for clients’ comfort, there has to be several payment options including both cash on delivery and online payments. A safe payment system is the bottom line.
- Order Tracking: The advanced feature facilitates the users to review the order status (packaged, shipped, delivered and returned). Not only tracking the status, but the user also connects with various departments.
B) Delivery or Shopper App (USD 10-15K)
- User Registration: Grocery delivery companies often look for team members who work part-time and full-time in delivering the items to the consumers. Apart from the basic information, a member registered themselves using an ID proof and a valid driver license.
- Order Management: The feature makes it easier for the delivery partner to receive the order automatically and deliver it on the consumer’s address as provided in the order summary. The members can also track their daily, weekly and monthly orders using the feature.
- Instant Updates: Above of just sending and receiving order notifications, one can make it a real-time update business. Once the order is confirmed by the delivery partner, both parties (consumer and partner) can track the order using a shared map. Hence, consumers can actually view the travel of their order.
- Help Center: It is a duty of the shopper to deliver the items to consumers on time and with efficiency (no damage). Hence, the more we simplify the process for the shoppers, we are helping the customers. It is imperative to support partners on every step with clear instructions (at the pick-up point to delivery address). For any assistance, they can use the help center and resolve the issues instantly.
- Performance Management: This is an integral feature which enables the partners to track their performance and improve. They can find the client’s feedback, ratings and reviews provided to each delivery.
- Payment Calculation: Interestingly, with the existence of this feature, the delivery members can review their earning, and even track the payment on daily, weekly or monthly basis. Indeed, the amount is directly transferred to the linked payment mode.
C) Admin panel or Company’s Web portal (USD 5-10k)
- User Management: This feature will allow the grocery company to accept user registrations from both consumers and delivery partners. Moreover, if anyone is found violating the rules, the function assists to remove or block the person from the database.
- Inventory Management: One of the key functions of a grocery delivery business is to precisely update the inventory on the platform so that people can hassle-free order the desired items. The feature helps in adding/removing items, changing product status (available/out of stock) and updating the product quantity.
- Order Management: Every order placed is being tracked and managed by the admin panel. The system reviews and assigns the order to respective partners accordingly. Moreover, it keeps a record of new, returned and cancelled orders.
- Payment Management: Every payment made by the clients is received in the back end with the receipt. Besides, if any user requests for a refund, the application is received and processed from the admin panel.
- Customer Support: This is an intrinsic requirement. A client may contact the grocery company for any reason such as order and product query, refund and cancelation policy, discount and offers, and others. All the requests are managed by the admin desk.
Related blog: 7 step guide to mobile app design and development.
Looking to develop a grocery app?
Why not work with one of the leading app development companies in the world?
Connect with Grey Chain Technology to get the best online grocery delivery application for your business. We understand every part of web and mobile app development, and prominently assist our clients to develop a productive mobile application.
We are experts in custom android app development and iOS mobile apps.
Send us your details via our contact us form to discuss your requirements.